Monday, June 9, 2008

Unattainable Reality

Is happiness an attainable reality or a wild dream? Happiness is overrated. If I think about it, such conclusion becomes clear. What is happiness? How am I to know the answer to such question if I always want to be “happier”; which ultimately suggests that I am not happy from the beginning?
Happiness is not what people tell me; it is what I make of it. I’ll stop for a moment and ponder on the interrogative…
To start simple: a clear cut definition is needed, or the lack thereof. There is not a definition of happiness other than knowing that it should be our aim. Nevertheless, what is there is only an insufferable desire to reach it. Since the moment in which we are able to separate between what a smile may entail and what a tear must mean, we incline towards what seems more joyful: smiles. We see tears as entities full of sorrow. We do not, however, possess enough information and understanding to distinguish the meaning both items have.
Happiness is not a simple smile, it necessitates more. Happiness itself is relative because what can make one happy might only bring distress to another. For some it means having the latest gadget out there, or the new it fashion item, the best car –the list goes on. But happiness could also mean something as simple as a, worth the tautology, smile from the object of our affection or seeing our family. Happiness then means very different things for very different people: material or not. Happiness relies on other items to be called so; otherwise, it is another simple state of mind.
Then, there is the other theory which says that happiness is rather a contingency. It is part of the process of existing. There is not any destination to which, upon arrival one would feel fulfilled and, well, happy. In other words, the mere fact that material objects or certain people or certain immaterial states or receiving the various kinds of affection that can be displayed make us happy is but a coincidence. In short, there is not anything which can actually make us happy. We must just be happy at any given moment with any given possession or people we find ourselves with.
A dream provided that is a wild idea, is still a possible definition for happiness. When in desperation, one turns to anything in order not to find oneself lost. This would imply, unfortunately, that happiness is in fact unattainable. But that would also question the times in which we have felt happy. In those cases, if it wasn’t happiness, then what was it? Perhaps happiness is just an unattainable reality.
Finally, I present my personal attempt to define such an abstract idea. I find it very comfortable but at the same time a bit illegitimate. On the one hand, it is pleasing because it applies well to me as it is. But every person is a world, thus making it unjustifiable as a general idea.
Happiness for me is who I am. I am aware arrogance is believed to be the word. Think about it, however, and the reason will become clear. I must be happy with who I am I first in order to find this so called happiness. Otherwise, there won’t be anything or anyone to make me happy. But there is more to it. Happiness is enjoying the moment I am in because there will never be a repetition of it. Life is too short for regrets. So, one must live the moments presented to us as they come and allow them to bring happiness to our very life. Happiness must be the people around us: family, friends, perhaps even an object of our affection. In one way or another, every person with whom we share a relationship should be an ingredient that condiments our happiness not the extra element that spoils the recipe.
At the end, happiness is a roller coaster of emotions because we never really know that we are actually happy until we are not for a second, then we become aware of our previous state of happiness and thrive to return to such state. However, all we need to know is that: happiness lies within, not around.
Take a second and ponder on the subject. Perhaps happiness is after all, not such an unattainable reality rather one of those rare dreams that can actually come true in the not so distant future.

xoxo,
Poison Drops

©Copyrighted 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mujer,
i think i've read this b4...lol
i love the blog and i agree with you in so many things...starting with the fact of loving oneself the way we are...dat is something i've learned to do with time....NOw, and after some unpleasent experiences, i know dat my freakles, my ONe dimple, and my gappy teeth are not my defects like a lot of ppl think...they're just the lil details dat make up my beauty...the small things dat compile my unikeness[[if datz a word??!!...lol]].....

well i think i'm getting off track but yeah accepting yourself the way you are brings you happiness...happiness dat may not be noticeable sometimes, for like you said, [[perhaps happiness is within not around]]

~RoXy~

Unknown said...

Hmm. I like to think of Harry Potter during momments like this. *I just know you're laughing and making a face right now but I'm dead serious.*

Every time he conjured that Patronus, he had to pull out a happy thought, and the happier the more potent the charm. It varied from time to time. To either memories or fantasies. However, I don't ever remember it really being a material or superficial gain that promoted the ghostly guardian. It was always something deeper. I think that when we're kids and we get that toy or whatever the hell that we want for christmas or after a semester of good grades is when we think we've reached happiness. As we grow older, we learn that these things are momentary and shortlived...or atleast we should.

Although a new video game or electronic gizmo makes me filled with joy, how long before there's a newer, more interactive toy for me to replace it with. I'm wondering about that unreplaceable stuff. The stuff you really want to hold on to, and is worth fighting for.

--Rosario